Tuesday, July 7, 2015

quality literature: the lovely bones

i picked this one up off the top of the stack yesterday morning just to see if i wanted to read it next.  the back cover warned "don't start "the lovely bones" unless you can finish it."  i did not heed the warning and the next thing i knew, i had finished it around 3:00 that same afternoon.  it wasn't the driving plot that kept me going, it was the beauty and complexity of the characters and the needing to know their thoughts and emotions and what would become of them.  excellent.

genre: modern fiction (some crime, but not the driving force)
setting: u.s. in the early 70's
reading level: adult

2 comments:

  1. I read this years ago. I remember thinking the first chapter was so painful that I didn't know if I would be able to read it. I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this book too, so heartbreaking. Warning, don't watch the film. It will not meet your expectations .

    ReplyDelete